- - - - -

College major

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_OakWild_*

• Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

Is Chemistry a popular major in college? What type of students will choose it as their major when they apply for college admission. Just curious.

#2 jeff

Master

• Moderators
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:07 AM

I dunno. I was a Liberal Arts student. :p

I think students choose Chemistry, because they have keen interests on it and on research.

I have a paternal cousin carrying on her postgraduate and doctoral programs of study at California Institute of Technology after graduating from USTC (University of Science and Technology of China). ( :startle: Incredible!) If I didn't make the mistake, her major is related to chemistry too. And I know many students from well known universities in China studying in this major are wanting to further their studies in the US or Canada.
Life is all about ass:
You're either
covering it,
laughing it off,
kicking it, kissing it,
busting it,
trying to get a piece of it,
or behaving like one

Posted Image

#3 OakWild

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

Jeff, thanks for your response. :friends:

There is a student currently pursing his Ph.D. in Chemistry at a top U.S. university. He wants to switch to a completely different field. I just want to get a sense about his credentials.

View Postjeff, on 04 March 2010 - 02:07 AM, said:

I think students choose Chemistry, because they have keen interests on it and on research.

I like that. I hope that it is the case for this student when he chose his college major.

#4 jeff

Master

• Moderators
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:20 AM

They'll be the scientists. :)

Now I am a bit confused for your question. He wants to change from other field to Chemistry, or from Chemistry to others?
Life is all about ass:
You're either
covering it,
laughing it off,
kicking it, kissing it,
busting it,
or behaving like one

Posted Image

#5 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:30 PM

current in chemistry, and want to switch out.

#6 Guest_oak_*

• Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

He got his bachelor degree in chemistry from China, and in currently studying in a Ph.D program in US. But now he wants to give up chemistry and switch to a different area. Hope that clarifies it.

#7 jeff

Master

• Moderators
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:01 PM

I got it now. So which field does he want to switch to?

I think it would highly depend on what kind of career he would like to go for after graduation.
Life is all about ass:
You're either
covering it,
laughing it off,
kicking it, kissing it,
busting it,
or behaving like one

Posted Image

#8 Guest_oak_*

• Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

Jeff, I felt I should have asked my question with better clarity and there is no need to involve that particular student. What I want to ask are the following two questions:

Generally speaking, does a person's choice of chemistry for college come from the right motivation? You answered that question for me. Thanks.

As we all know it is competitive to get into a top university in China. But relatively speaking, how does chemistry fare, comparing with other majors?

At this point, the answers are no longer relevant. But thanks for your help.

#9 jeff

Master

• Moderators
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:06 AM

As far as I know, many top IT companies now in China were built up by those who have ever been studying in the IT related fields at the top universities in the US and / or working at the Wall Street.

I don't know about Chemistry. Maybe it is more relevant to academic and scientific research and invention. For example, these professors found a special material for the glass of vehicle window, so that mist on the window will be absorbed very fast. And then the business men invest money into this project and sell to vehicle producers. At last, consumers feel less troubled to drive in the days when it is easy to have mist on the window glass of their cars.

:p
Life is all about ass:
You're either
covering it,
laughing it off,
kicking it, kissing it,
busting it,
or behaving like one

Posted Image

#10 ggicollegepunjab

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLudhiana

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

They want to do their specification in chemistry while Admission in Engineering college.
Best Civil Engineering institute in Punjab none than others...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users